LIVEAI market intelligence
StarLive
StarNews › Entertainment
🎬 Entertainment

A dispute over fact vs. fiction at the trial over Tupac Shakur's 1996 killing in Las Vegas

拉斯维加斯图帕克·沙库尔1996年遇害案审判中事实与虚构之争
🎬
✓ Key facts
  • Opening statements began in the murder trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis, who is charged in the 1996 killing of Tupac Shakur in Las Vegas.
  • A prosecutor told jurors that Davis did not fire the shots but planned the shooting in retaliation for an earlier attack on his nephew, calling the killing an act of revenge.
  • The defense rejected the prosecution's account and argued that the state's case was fiction, saying there were no facts and criticizing the original investigation.
  • Prosecutors said Davis made admissions in interviews with investigators over the years, and they played audio and showed jurors his memoir and other public comments.
  • The trial comes nearly three decades after the shooting, and many potential witnesses or the other men in the Cadillac are no longer alive.

Opening statements began Monday in Las Vegas in the murder trial of Duane "Keffe D" Davis, who has pleaded not guilty in connection with the 1996 killing of rapper Tupac Shakur. Prosecutors told jurors that Davis did not pull the trigger, but helped plan the shooting after his nephew was attacked earlier that night.

Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal argued that Shakur was killed in an act of revenge and said Davis had spoken about the case repeatedly over the years. The prosecution played audio of Davis describing the shooting and showed jurors his 2019 memoir and other interviews it intends to use at trial.

Defense lawyer Michael Sanft said the state's version of events was fiction and argued that police had long lacked solid evidence. He also criticized the original investigation as incomplete and biased, saying the passage of time would make it difficult for witnesses to remember details accurately.

The trial is expected to last about a month. It comes almost 30 years after Shakur's death, a case that has remained closely followed in hip-hop culture, in part because no one was charged until Davis was indicted in 2023.

中文版

拉斯维加斯图帕克·沙库尔1996年遇害案审判中事实与虚构之争

周一,拉斯维加斯开始审理杜安“Keefe D”戴维斯的谋杀案,他已对与1996年图帕克·沙库尔遇害有关的指控表示不认罪。检方告诉陪审团,戴维斯并没有亲自开枪,但在当晚其侄子遭袭后参与了枪击策划。

首席助理地区检察官比努·帕拉尔称,沙库尔是在一次报复行动中被杀,检方还表示,戴维斯多年来曾多次谈及此案。检方当庭播放了戴维斯描述枪击经过的录音,并向陪审团展示了他2019年的回忆录以及其他拟在庭审中使用的采访内容。

辩护律师迈克尔·桑夫特则称,检方版本是虚构的,并表示警方长期没有掌握扎实证据。他还批评最初调查不完整且带有偏见,认为时间跨度太长会让证人难以准确回忆细节。

这场审判预计持续约一个月。距离沙库尔死亡已近30年,此案一直受到嘻哈文化圈关注,部分原因是直到戴维斯在2023年被起诉前,没有人因此案被指控。

Original reporting: AP News. StarLive rewrote this story in its own words, preserving the facts; the full third-party article is not reproduced. AI-generated · market intelligence, not financial advice.
🔍 Analyze any asset with StarLive's 7-layer AI →