Bieniemy jokes wife Mia gave him blessing to rejoin Chiefs after she was shot at their Virginia home
- Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy said his wife, Mia, told him to return to the team while she continues recovering from being shot at their Virginia home.
- Mia Bieniemy was shot on July 26, and their 27-year-old son, Elijah Bieniemy, was arrested in connection with the incident.
- Eric Bieniemy left the Chiefs immediately after the shooting to support his family, then returned to camp the following week before a preseason loss to the Rams.
- Bieniemy said his wife is doing well and described her recovery as a major reason he felt able to come back.
- While away from camp in Virginia, Bieniemy stayed involved by watching practice streams and joining team meetings remotely.
Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy said Tuesday that his wife, Mia, gave him permission to return to the team while she recovers from being shot at their Virginia home. Bieniemy said he had been trying to balance his family responsibilities with his work, and joked that he had been driving her and other relatives crazy by staying home.
Mia Bieniemy was shot on July 26. Their 27-year-old son, Elijah Bieniemy, was arrested in connection with the shooting and has been charged with malicious wounding, using a firearm in the commission of a felony and discharging a firearm inside a dwelling. Court appearances have been delayed pending a mental health evaluation.
Eric Bieniemy left the Chiefs immediately after the shooting and returned to camp last week. He said his wife is doing well and that her recovery was a major reason he felt comfortable coming back. While away from Missouri, he stayed connected to the team by watching practice streams and joining meetings remotely.
Bieniemy said he was still closely involved with the Chiefs even from Virginia, including a phone call to general manager Brett Veach in which he asked coach Andy Reid to address a coaching point. He said Mia eventually told him, “You have my blessing to leave,” which prompted his return.
比尼米开玩笑说,妻子米娅在弗吉尼亚家中遭枪击后“允许”他重返酋长队
堪萨斯城酋长队进攻协调员埃里克·比尼米周二表示,在妻子米娅于弗吉尼亚家中遭枪击、正在康复期间,妻子同意他回到球队工作。比尼米说,自己一直在努力平衡家庭责任和工作,并半开玩笑地说,自己留在家里让妻子和其他家人都感到有些“被折腾”。
米娅·比尼米于7月26日遭枪击。两人27岁的儿子伊莱贾·比尼米随后因与这起事件有关被逮捕,并被控恶意伤害、在重罪中使用枪支以及在住宅内开枪。由于需要进行精神健康评估,他的出庭安排已被推迟。
埃里克·比尼米在枪击发生后立即离开球队,直到上周才返回训练营。他说妻子恢复情况良好,而她的康复进展是他决定回来的一项重要原因。在留在密苏里期间,他通过观看训练直播和远程参加会议,持续与球队保持联系。
比尼米说,即使人在弗吉尼亚,他仍然密切关注球队动态,甚至曾打电话给总经理布雷特·维奇,请他把电话转给主教练安迪·里德,提醒对方注意一个战术细节。他说,米娅后来对他说“你可以放心去”,这让他最终决定回到球队。